If I recently kicked out my boyfriend /roommate and his 19 year old son for cheating and drugs, do I have to care for their belongings and allow them acres to my home?

He can be violent and I formerly had a restraining order.

Asked on November 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have to give them a reasonable opportunity to get their belongings. That does not mean you have to let them in the home when only you are there or at will: you can ship their belongings to them; set a time when they can pick them up and have friends present with you; etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.