What are my rights if I recently had an accident at work?

I was putting pallets of merchandise ontoa storage trailer. As I was going up the portable ramp, the ramp gave way and slipped off the edge of the trailer. This caused my left foot to get caught between the trailer and the pallet. I fell down injuring my right arm and back. The ramp that the company purchased for this task, was the cheapest option for them. However they failed to inform us that it was only to be used for hand trucks only. Can I sue?

Asked on March 18, 2014 under Personal Injury, Massachusetts


Christopher Earley / Law Office of Christopher Earley

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can file a MA workers compensation claim.  You can't sue your employer for an on-the-job injury. 

Chris Earley

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since you were injured on the job, you can file a workers' compensation claim to be compensated for your injury and medical bills.  If necessary, you can also receive vocational rehabilitation.  Your company's human resources department can assist you in filing the necessary forms for your workers' compensation claim.

Workers' compensation is an alternative to filing a lawsuit against the company.  At this point, a lawsuit would be premature since you have not completed your medical treatment and obtained your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of wage loss.

Since you were injured on the job, filing a workers' compensation claim is advisable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.