If I recently had a defendant served a complaint I filed with the circuit court, do I have to serve every communication to the defendant and his attorney or can I send motions, etc. through the mail?

I am acting pro se.

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Personal Injury, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Other written items you send to the defendant's attorney, you can serve by mail.  This means just sending the document with an attached proof of service.  You can either use a court form proof of service or you can write your own proof of service.  If you write your own proof of service, it just says that you are at least eighteen years of age and the attached documents were sent via first class mail unless stated otherwise to ____________ (name and address of defendant's attorney) on _________ (date).  You sign and date at the bottom.  The date you sign the proof of service should be the same as the date of mailing.

If there are documents you are filing with the court such as a motion, you would file it with the court and serve it by mail by using the same procedure above of enclosing a proof of service with the copy of the document mailed to the defendant's attorney.  The date of mailing on the proof of service should be the same date you file the document with the court and the same date you sign the proof of service.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.