CouldI get deported for recieving a MIP?

I recently got a ticket for underage drinking. It wasn’t a DUI/DWI, just underage drinking. I am currently not a us resident. I blew a .06; court date is in a little less than a month. My grandfather is a citizen but my mother isn’t however she is in process of receiving her residency. I’m 19 and I entered the US at 5 (not illegally) but our visa is expired. Could I deported for this?

Asked on March 30, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Well you are currently an illegal resident but whether or not that issue comes up will be dependant on whether or not the prosecutor is bringing this up in court. You are 19, so while you are being brought in for underage drinking, you are still an adult (i.e., over 18).  You could try working with the prosecutor by talking to a public defender about doing an alternative conviction and just doing community service. However, as to your deportation, it may become an issue and you may need to discuss this with your counsel if your counsel asks you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.