If I recently got a DUI charge, should I plead guilty or not guilty?

My boyfriend and I had a few drinks in the area. The police officer pulled me over due to a slight swerve in the opposite lane. I was making a right hand turn on a single lane road with vehicles parked along the road. The police officer asked me to step out of the car. I took a breathalyzer 3 times, which they did not tell me the results. They took me to the station and held me overnight.When my BF asked ifI am getting a dui and the arresting officer said no they are just going to hold me overnight. Yet after I was relased they gave me a dui citation. Should I fight or do a diversion program?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the circumstances that you have written about, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney who specializes in DUI matters and listen to his or her advice as to how you should proceed on a plea at your arraignment.

You need to be aware that if convicted of the DUI, you will be fined, have your driver's license suspended, be ordered to attend classes concerning the dangers of drinking and driving, have increased premiums for your auto insurance and have a criminal history which can impact your future schools and job applications if you do not receive diversion from the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.