I recently got a divorce May 3rd and was told I could pick up my personal belongings June 3rd I arrive at the house after a six hour drive and was told that I could not pick up my belongings until I returned a weed eater and her cd’s

I do not have a weed eater nor do I
have her cd’s This was a wasted trip
She said if I would give her my King
size bed she would forget about the
weed eater and the cd’s but I said no I
left and she texted my brother and said
if I give her 100.00 for the weed eater
and 150.00 for the the cd’s and be
back within 30 minutes I could have my
stuff Needless to say I returned home
empty handed What now?

Asked on June 4, 2017 under Family Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Legally, she cannot withhold your belongings from you. Your problem is that the only way to get them is through a lawsuit in which you seek and get a court order for their return (and/or suing for the items' now-current [given that they are used and not new] value, which suit could be resolved either by her returning the items or paying their value). To win, you'd have to prove these were your items, not hers or the both of yours jointly (since if both of yours jointly, she's entitled to a share of their value; and if hers, she clearly would not have to return them).  Given the cost, time, effort, etc. of a lawsuit, you may, as a practical matter, be best off paying her the amounts she is seeking.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.