What to do if I recently gave a friend of mine permission for limited use of my vehicle, transportation to work and home and they had an accident?

I temporarily placed her on my insurance policy which is liability only with a maximum of $50K per person bodily injury, and $100K per accident damages. During that time she was involved in a 2 vehicle accident while driving my vehicle, the driver of the other vehicle is seriously injured and will require intensive med treatment. The accident was a light dispute and possibly both of the drivers were under the influence of drugs or alcohol (results pending) both vehicles are total losses, neither were very valuable. I was out of the country at the time of the accident. How much could I be liable for if sued by the family?

Asked on September 24, 2013 under Accident Law, Florida


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you knew that this friend of yours had a history of using drugs and alcohol and driving, you may be liable to the other driver under the theory of negligent entrustment.  If so, you could be liable for the difference between what your insurance covered and the other driver's actual medical bills plus additional moneys for pain and suffering. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.