If a judgment was filed against my husband and is now on his credit report but we were not notified of the judgment, what should our next step be?

My husband was paying this company 200 a month for a line of credit debt. They continued to call and harrass him stating that he needed to pay more. He stopped paying and a judgment was filed. We were not notified of any court date or proceeding, and now it is showing on his credit report. The debt is almost 10k and we cannot afford to pay it or to have our wages garnished. What should we do?

Asked on March 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best thing for you to do at this point in time regarding the apparent judgment against your husband since you seem to be unsure about really what happened is to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you. Possibly there may be time to try and set aside the judgment to contest the lawsuit.

Another option is to try and enter into a monthly payment plan for the debt in an amount that you can afford where under the agreement no other assets can be levied upon or garnished by the judgment creditor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.