If my left eye was stabbed out by a special needs girl in a foster care home, can I sue the state for placing me in an unsafe environment?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Potentially you may have a legal basis to sue the governmental entity that housed the speacial needs girl for the personal injury that you suffered if the entity housing the girl knew or should have known that she was a danger to third persons such as you.

You most likely will have to file a claim against the governmental entity under its tort claims statute as a prerequisite for any future lawsuit against it. I suggest that you immediately consult with a personal injury attorney that practices law in the area of governmental entities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.