If I recently fell in a store and broke my wrist, legally should the store responsible for any of my medical expenses?

My insurance is covering most of my surgery, etc. but I have started receiving bills that are not covered. A friend said they should be responsible.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Personal Injury, West Virginia


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry to hear about your fall.  The answer to your question depends upon how your fall happened.  Generally a business, like a store, has a duty to their customers to provde a safe and hazard free environment.  If the store breached this duty to you and you suffered injuries as a result of some negligence on the part of the store, then yes the store could be liable for your injuries and your medical bills, whether or not they are covered by insurance.   I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney in your area and seek a cosultation.  He or she will be able to hear and evaluate all of the facts of your case and give you a more informed opinion with respect to what your legal options might be.  Most personal injury attorneys offer free first time consultations.   Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.