What can I do if I recently discovered that my grandfather was a victim of elderly financial abuse by my uncle and mother?

I just discovered this once I started reviewing documents recorded through the county. Can my uncle and mother be charged with elderly financial abuse even though my grandfather has passed away. I have witnesses including my grandfathers brother and other family members.

Asked on November 16, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

California has enacted laws that deal with this that are very strict and provide for strict penalties.  My concern here is the Statute of Limitations (the time frame with in which you may bring a lawsuit) and if it is "tolled" or extended in any way because of when you found out.  PLEASE go and speak with a lawyer as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.