If I recently completed probation for a DWI, can it be expunged off my record?

If so, can I get a written proof from a lawyer confirming the expunging process since I got offered a job and they need proof of that?

Asked on August 27, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Only a judge can expunge your record.  If you were on what is called a strait probation, not a deferred adjudication, then you are stuck with the conviction and you cannot get it expunged.  If you entered a plea to an alternative charge and you were on a deferred adjudication, then you could apply for an order of non-disclosure.  It's similar to an expunction, except that it only block employers and the general public... it would like block law enforcement from seeing your history.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.