What to do about an that I received an infraction for causing an accident?

I received an infraction for causing an accident. I was taking a free right turn and the car taking the left from the other side came into my lane. I stopped and that person stopped in time but a third car rear ended the car coming at me. My insurance provider says I am not at fault and that the car that was hit wants to hold me legally accountable even though the rear ending car’s insurance has covered the damage. If I just pay the infraction will I be held liable for further legal action taken against me in this? Should I fight the infraction?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Accident Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you honestly believe that you did not cause the accident then you need to contest it. I suggest retaining an attorney to assist you. If you simply pay the ticket then under the laws of all states in this country you will be deemed to have admitted causing the incident which could increase your insurance premiums and have a negative effect upon the auto accident that you were in from your perspective.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of criminal defense about the matter you are writing about before deciding to pay the ticket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.