Is it legal to garnish my wages for a civil law suit I was never told or received notification about?

Is there anything I can do to fight it?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you were never personally served, subserved or served by publication with the lawsuit that you are writing about, you can file a motion to set aside the judgment against you that resulted in a wage garnishment.

In order to see the merits of the ability to set aside the judgment, you need to go down to the court house to see how the summons and complaint was supposedly served upon you, You have a certain time period to try and set aside the presumed default judgment against you, I suggest that you consult with a general civil litigation attorney about your situation for guidance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.