If I just recently received a ticket or speeding (47 in a 30 zone) but it has the wrong date on it, does this invalidate it?

If so, would I have to appear in court on the intended date to dispute it? The court date written on the ticket is for almost a year ago, clearly a mistake on the officer’s part.

Asked on December 7, 2015 under General Practice, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that the officer got everything else correct (i.e. your name, address, and driver's license, plate number and the year, make and model of your car) this is not enough to obtain a dismissal. The bottom line question that courts ask, in this type of situation, is whether the mistake has some effect on your ability to defend the case or if it calls into question whether you were otherwise properly ticketed. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.