If Ireceived a summons which is not dated, notorized nor filed in a court, isit legal?

Asked on September 12, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The summons and complaint (lawsuit attached to the summons) may be a copy that was sent to you.  If it has a case number, it was filed with the court.  You can confirm that it was filed with the court by giving the case number to the court clerk and asking to see the file.  You will need to fill out a short form with the case number and your name, etc. in order for the court clerk to let you see the file.  You won't be able to remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy it for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.