I received a speeding ticket 8 years ago and pled guilty, is there any way to now rewove this from my record?

I paid the fine but now have a level 1 misdemeanor on my record. I have never gotten any other tickets or ever been charged with any other crime. I was unaware that paying a traffic ticket meant i was pleading guilty to a criminal offense.

Asked on July 17, 2014 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

My research suggests that PA law allows for expungement of summary offenses, which are minor crimes tried by a judge and include offenses such as traffic tickets. You must also have satisfied all terms and conditions of your sentence and be free of arrest or conviction for 5 years following the disposition of your case.

However, since I am not licensed in your state, I am not familiar with the specifics of expungment for a level 1 misdemeanor. You really should contact an attorney in your area who specializes in these cases. They can best advise as to how you should proceed. You can also google the word "expungement" and your state's name; many times there are state operated websites that can give you more detailed information regarding all of this, including the steps that you need to follow if you're eligible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.