If I received a reckless driving citation, went to court and pleaded guilty to the incident but can’t afford to pay the fine, what can I do?

Now I have 60 days to pay the fee or my driving license will be suspended.

Asked on July 12, 2015 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have only two options:

1) Contact the clerk of the court, explain the situation, and see if the court will give you more time to pay or let you set up a payment plan. The court might, but is not required to; it is worthwhile asking.

2) Borrow the money to pay the fine.

If you don't or can't do 1) or 2), your license will be suspended.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.