What can I do if I received a minor under consumption ticket last semester but didn’t complete my probation and I received a warrant for my arrest today?

I needed to pay a fee and do some community service within 90 days. The warrant stated that I had to pay a fee by the 16th of this month but I barely saw it by the 18th. Basically, I’m not sure what’s going to happen next or what I should do.

Asked on April 19, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Often, many poeple are able to handle tickets on their own, but when someone is facing an arrest, I suggest hiring an attorney to assist with finalizing the case.  They can talk to the prosecutor for you and see what can still be done to salvage your case. 

It's not required to that you hire an attorney, but it certainly helps.  If you cannot affort an attorney, then you need to contact the court prosecutor and see what kind of deal you can make to try to resolve the situation.  If you have the needed funds in hand to pay the fee that was due, you will be much more likely to get their cooperation. 

If you do nothing, the judge will schedule a new court date and will usually require you to appear so as to explain your default.  The judge will be a lot happier with you if you show that (1) you have already taken steps to resolve the delinquency and (2) you are ready on that day to make the payment.  This is not a guarantee that he won't be mad at you, but it will certainly put him in a better mood.  If the judge and the prosecutor see that you are trying, they may simply dismiss the latest motion to revoke your probation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.