What to do if I recieved a letter in the mail for a “notice to vacate” but was never “legally served” with an eviction notice?

I was informed today that I have to move out by the 23rd 92 days) and am a single mother with 3 children; 1 of whom has medical and psychological special needs. I found a place to move to but the property isn’t available for another 3 weeks. I was told to “find a storage unit to move my things to and stay with friends”. I don’t have friends/family in the state, am in the midst of an ugly divorce, and am terrified. Any advice is appreciated.

Asked on January 20, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country the mailing, personal service of posting of a notice to evict is sufficient to place a tenant on notice that his or her lease is at an end.

The legal service that you are referring to as to personal service is when there is a lawsuit filed with a summons and complaint. From what you have written about, you were legally served by your landlord that your lease is coming to an end.

If you need more time to move out consult with the landlord. The presumed two day time period to move out is improper. Under the law, the landlord must give you thirty (30) days notice to move out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.