I received a letter from GMC stating that the vehicle I am leasing had an inncorrect sticker stating the gas MPH ratio was wrong and offering to send me a 500 check. I would rather get into a car that has better gas mileage. What consumer rights do i hav

I did a lease on a Buick Enclave and asked about changing into a Buick Regal since the gas mileage is better. They are telling me I will be in the negative because of the depreciation. What right does the consumer have if they have a sticker on the vehicle with wrong information on it. The gas mileage is even worse. They were trying to send me a check for 500 to compensate for gas. This is a 3 yr. lease trust me the gas difference over a 3 yr. period will cost me a lot more than 500. What rights do I Have as a consumer?? Seems to me they shouldn’t legally make me stay with a vehicle they misrepresented??????

Asked on June 2, 2016 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You may have a case of fraud: there was a false disclosure or representation of material, or important, information, upon which you reasonably relied in deciding to purchase this car. Fraud could let you potentially rescind the contract (return car, get money back, less perhaps some amount for the use you have made of the car to date) or get monetary compensation (e.g. the reasonable expected difference in gas costs over the 3-years).
However, court cases are never certain--you could lose. And they take time and cost money (even if you don't hire an attorney, you have filing fees and may have to miss work for court dates).
Say that your drive the usual 1,000 miles per month. Say that the car's sticker said 25mpg but it should have been 20mpg. That means that you are buying 10 extra gallons of gas per month, or 120 gallons per year, or 360 gallons over 3 years. If gas where you are is $2.50 per gallon, that's $900. It may not be worthwhile going to the time/cost of a lawsuit, even a small claims case, for the extra $400 over what you are offered, especially because you can ever guaranty success.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.