If I received a letter from a police department stating it is investigating criminal activity at a massage spa that I visited a couple of months ago, do I need a lawyer?

Can they force me to take a lie detector test?

Asked on February 19, 2015 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You really should consult with a criminal law attorney at this point. Until you do, don't speak with the police, even if they come to your house (you are under no obligation to do so). This obviously includes taking a lie detector test. The fact is that they are experts at getting people to make incriminatiing statements. Again, seek legal representation ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.