If I received a letter from a collection agency for an accident that I was not in, what do I do?

Asked on January 20, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Reply in writing, sent some way you can prove delivery (e.g. by certified mail with return receipt) that 1) you dispute the debt; 2) you were not involved in the accident; and 3) asking them to provide whatever information they have that shows that you were involved. Send with the letter a copy of anything you have which would show it could not have been you--for example, say that the accident was in a different state or distant city in your state; if you have any sort of documentation of where you were that day, send a copy of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.