What to do if I received a letter from a lawyer claiming that his client is pursuing claims for personal injuries and damages sustained by our vehicle?

Asked on October 22, 2013 under Accident Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The first thing you should do is contact your auto insurance carrier.  If you have auto insurance, they will handle it.  You should not need your own attorney, unless you do not have auto insurance.  Tell your agent about the letter and any recollection you have about the alleged incident, if you have not already.  If someone else was driving your vehicle the day of the incident, let them know about that too.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.