If I received a DUI a month after my 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with cancer and needs to visit the hospital, how do I get my driving privileges back?

I had prior DUI 5 1/2 years ago when I was 19. Since then, I’ve married, had 2 children and despite this most recent mistake, am a responsible adult. I received a DUI: I blew a .127. A month prior to that my 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with liver cancer. I also had a newborn at home. Very stressful. They’ve pushed court to next month; I lost my license last week. So in the meantime, living in a small town with no public transportation and being 45 minutes from the hospital, how am I to get my daughter to her appointments? My husband will lose his job if he keeps taking days off. Do I have any options?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Illinois


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would hire a local criminal defense attorney to try and fight the charge.  The other option is that many times the deparment of motor vehicles will grant a provisional/conditional license that allows you to drive only certain places.  Conditional licenses granting drive to school and work are very common.  I don't see why you can ask for a conditional license that only allows you to go to the hospital.  Or--you could get creative and get a job next to the hospital--allowing you to drive there.  In California, the DMV component of restrictions and the DUI component of the criminal charges are handled totally separately, but I am not sure if that is the case in your state. 

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.