If I received a DUI 7 months ago and I got a second before being sentenced for the 1st, what am I looking at as a sentence now?

They are in 2 separate counties involved. I was not sentenced before the 1st one. Now I am on probation, suspension and therapy. How much trouble am I in?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have plead out to your first DUI and have not been sentenced to for the first offense, the second offense that you have written about will have no impact on the first.

However, you should expect the following sentence regarding the first offense: a fine of $2,500, probation for at least a year, attendance at classes against the dangers of drinking and driving, and community service work in addition to having your driver's license suspended for at least six months.

As to the second offense if convicted, you will receive most likely a fine of $3,500, be sentenced to 8 to 15 days in jail, attend more classes, have your driver's license suspended for at least a year and community service work.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.