If I received a battery misdemeanor charge because my wife said that I hit her in the face and pushed her down, what can I expect when I go to court?

I did not hit her but I did pull her purse from her, attempting to retrieve my cell phone that she had stolen. She swung at me landing a blow on my head. In pulling the purse from her she fell down claiming i hit her and then pushed her but there were no marks on her anywhere and all I had were scratches on my arm. There were two witnesses and their reports corroborated with mine on everything except for her hitting me. She does have a history of bi-polar and has been noted by her peers to be emotionally unstable. I’m unsure whether this helps my case at all.

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

At your first court hearing with respect to the assault and battery charge against you, you will be read the charges against you, asked to make a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest, a settlement conference date will be set and a trial date.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you in the matter that you have written about in that from what you have written, there seems to be a good chance to possibly get the charges dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.