What can I do to get information regarding life insurance proceeds if my mother passed away when I was 6 and she changed the insurance beneficiary to me?

My dad knew about this and has always told me about it but other than that, I have no idea. Other than a Trust fund that the insurance went into, I have no other infomation on the subject. I just want to know my options from here.

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I'm sorry but I do not understand what you wish to know and what options you mean. How much the policy was?  You seem to know where it is.  Is your Dad the trustee?  Has he ever filed an accounting?  Do you want to know what the funds were used for?  Your dad probably had to be appointed your legal guardian to accept the funds as trustee so there is likely a court document regarding same.  It is probably archived some where.  If it was done in the Probate then look in that file.  it could also be done in a local family court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.