What can happen and is a confession alone enough to convict me if I plead not guilty?

I quit working at a auto parts store they called me in to talk about 3 days later. They told me they had eye witnesses of me stealing merchandise and money that added up to 850 dollars. I didn’t steal anything from them but they said if I told them I did it I could leave so I did signed a paper that said I did then they said they were contacting police. This was over a month ago I called the prosecuters office they said there was no charges under my name.

Asked on October 13, 2013 under Criminal Law, Ohio


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you were never contacted by the police, then you probably have nothing more to worry about.  However, if you are charged, you can argue that the confession was coerced by the store employees.  You never confessed to police.  You were never even arrested.  To answer your question, no, a confession you signed at the auto parts store probably is not alone enough to convict you if you plead not guilty.  If you add in an actual eye witness, that might be.  Mistaken eye witness accounts are the biggest cause of wrongful convictions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.