What can I do if I quit last month but my employer still owes me $3,000?

Asked on July 30, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An employer is required to pay an employee for any wages that are due.... even if the employee resigns.  If your employer still refuses to submit the payment, then you need to file a complaint with your state's department of labor.  Illinois' Department of Labor actually has an online website that can walk you through this process.  This is a good place to start because it's free.  If the Department moves too slow for your needs, then consider hiring an attorney.  Before you hire an attorney, however, may sure that it's costs effective considering the amount on which your claim is based.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.