If I put my nephew as a joint tenant on my IRA pension but we no longer get along, what can I do?

He refuses to sign any checks so I can get my money. I contributed 100% of the money in the account. What rights do I have and how can I at the very least sign my share over to another family member? I am 90 years old and worked hard for that money. Don’t I have any rights? It seems like he is just waiting for me to die so he can walk away free and clear with all of my money.

Asked on July 29, 2012 under Estate Planning, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

By you designating your nephew as a joint tenant on your IRA pension you essentially gave him a half interest in the account for all time and eternity subject to your nephew giving up his interest in it.

If you want to break the joint tenancy where you have at least half of the account, you need to go to your bank and end the joint tenancy with your nephew in writing. I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney to assist you in your endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.