What to do if I purchased items from a close relative but I later was found with this property and it turned out to be stolen?

I have a bill of sale on everything I bought; I paid a fair price for it. The police didn’t charge me with posession of stolen goods; I was charged with the actual burglary. The didn’t recover any print belonging to me nor am I on video nor do they have an eyewitness to the crime. The family member I bought the items from is more than willing to confess to the crimes and state that had no idea they were stolen and that he wrote me a bill of sale. Does the state have to drop charges on me with this new evidence? What am I looking like on all of this?

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney about the burglarly charge in an attempt to somehow remedy the matter in your favor. You may need to point the finger on the relative that sold you the stolen items to prevent dire consequences from happening to you. From what you have written about, things look bad for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.