If I purchased a POS system for my business but the computer is horrible, is there anything I can do to get my money back?

The POS is a touch screen and the screen stop working properly after 3 weeks of use. I paid close to $2,500 for the system and it did not even last for 6 months. It works but has a lag and the screen keeps blacking out from time to time. I have spoken to the support team for the last 5 month and their solution is to replace the touch screen at my cost. Do I have legal grounds to take them to small claims court? I would call it a “lemon” like they do in the auto world.

Asked on June 7, 2012 under General Practice, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, did the POS come with a warranty? Most manufacturers have a certain period of time where they warrant their product for the consumer. If there is a warranty for such a system (and there should be given its expense), I would contact the manufacturer and retailer about the problems you are having and return the product.

If the solution is to pay for a new screen at your cost, I would take the retailer and manufacturer to small claims court for the cost of the system.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.