I purchased a home with a girlfriend last year in Tucson Az. We got married 2 weeks later.Now divorcing. Will quit deed work since her name changed?

She entered contract with maiden name and now used quit deed in married name. Will this still be legal to release interest in said property?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am not admitted in Arizona but in New York you have the option on a marriage license to legally use both names.  If she changed her name legally check with the county clerk's office or office of the registrar of deeds (whichever is used in your county) and ask if an affidavit that explains the change will be enough.  Your attorney should know as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.