What to do about a false promise of internet service regarding a home that I purchased about 2 1/2 years ago?

Among the amenities, the builder advertised was high-speed internet. I have given the builder ample opportunity to either get the services promised or get a satisfactory answer. Initially it was 6 months, the 12 months. Now, they are saying that that responsibility falls on the developer and not the builder. I want to know if there is any legal recourse for misleading customers and withholding information in order to make a sale?

Asked on November 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if the builder actually agreed to pay for the high-speed internet (as opposed to advertise to pay for such) then the builder is obligated to pay for such. As so, you should get an estimate for the high-speed and make a demand for payment of such by a certain date and if not made then small claims court is your legal recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.