What to do if f I purchased a foreclosed timeshare and tried to cancel within 5 days but they say that I cannot since its a re-sale?

I was lied to about everything regarding this timeshare. They did not give me the right to cancel in the contract.

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may not have an automatic right to cancel. It is up to you as part of your due dilligence to ensure you get what you buy.  If you relied to your detriment on certain written statements the sellers/broker made, then you need to go and seek a consumer protection agency to help you cancel this transaction.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you carefully read the purchase agreement that you signed to purchase the timeshare that you purchased in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you concerning its purchase and vice versa.

Ordinarily with the purchase of real property there is no time period in which to cancel a contract such as a home solicitation contract. As to misrepresentations made to induce you to purchase the timeshare, I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.