What to do if I purchased a car last month but the dealership is npw changing the deal after the fact?

I put $ 100 down. Signed papers, drove off. A week later the dealer calls me and says they can get me a lower payments. I went in and signed once again. Then, 2 weeks after that, the bank called with questions about the car. Apparently the model the dealer told the bank that I bought was the deluxe model but I actually have the base model. Today I got another call from the dealer saying that I need to come in to sign again because the bank is making them discount the car. I got there (it’s 2 hours away) and the dealership demanded another $1000 immediately or else I have to leave the new car and drive home my trade-in. Wasn’t my signature (twice) proof of a done deal? Can I get my original down payment back?

Asked on April 28, 2014 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

They *can't* change the deal after the fact: a signed contract is binding. If they refuse to (or cannot) honor the agreement they entered into, they are in breach of contract: you could sue them for monetary compensation (for example, if you have to pay more to buy the same car elsewhere, you could potentially recover the difference between what you should have paid and what you ended up paying); and/or get your deposit back (they can't keep you deposit without providing what they agreed to). If they will not voluntarily make the situation good, therefore you do have enforceable legal rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.