If I purchased $2400 worth of woodworking tools from my father but a couple of years later he sold them without my knowledge, what if anything can I do about it?

I paid for them with the agreement that I could store them in his shop. I did’t find out about the sell until after my father died.

Asked on July 29, 2014 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your father were still alive and had the tools, you could take legal action to either get your money back or  get the tools. Unfortunately, if he sold them to someone who thought the tools belonged to your father and that your father could legally sell them, you have no cause of action against that person--you can't sue him/her for either the tools or the money--because he/she is an innocent third party who bought the tools for value in good faith.

If your father's estate (his belongings) have not yet been distributed, you could sue the estate to get back the money which you had paid. Of course, since some or all of that money presumably would come to you anyway, as an inheritance, that may not actually help you much. And if the estate has already been distributed, there is nothing to do, unfortunately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.