What to do if I purchase a hot tub on line but have had nothing but problems and very poor customer service?

Is there something that I can do to make them replace or take the hot tub back?

Asked on August 19, 2014 under Business Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the hot tub includes an express (written) warranty and the company fails to comply with the terms of the warranty, you can sue for breach of warranty.

If there wasn't an express warranty, there are implied (unwritten) warranties which are applicable.  There is an implied warranty of merchantability which means the hot tub should be of a quality acceptable in the trade.  There is also a separate implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose which means the hot tub must be able to be used for its intended purpose.  You can sue the company for breach of the implied warranty of merchantability and if applicable also breach of the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.  You would file one lawsuit with separate causes of action (claims) for breach of each of the above warranties.

As a remedy, in your lawsuit you can seek a refund or replacement of the hot tub.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.