If I pled guilty to leaving the scene of a non-injury accident, is there a chanceI can get the sentence reduced?

I backed into a lady’s car and looked but saw no damage. I went back into store but had no clue who the car belonged to. I had my handicapped brother in my car and he had just experienced a seizure and I needed to leave, when I saw the lady I had hit following me. I pulled over and waited for her. I wasn’t trying to do wrong. My license was suspended but I really need it as I am my brother’s caregiver and now I can no longer work.

Asked on August 27, 2011 Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

So you have already pled guilty and your license was suspended, correct?  That is what I assuming here.  If the facts are as you have reported here then I am very surprised that an attorney could not make a judge see that there were extenuating circumstances and that the charge should have been reduced without the penalty of a lost license.  If you did not have a lawyer you needed one and it may not be too late to have someone look at the matter for you and ask the court to reconsider.   If you had one then you had ineffectual counsel and the matter could be looked at again based upon that alone.  You should also look in to obtaining a license for limited purposes.  They are generally available for those in a DUI/DWI case who lose their license.  Then you would be able to work.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.