If I pled guilty to failure to maintain vehicle insurance but I recently found out that I did have insurance at the time, is it possible to overturn this ruling?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under General Practice, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is always the possibility that if you did plea guilty for failure to maintain automobile insurance at a criminal proceeding but somehow discovered that there was a policy of insurance in place for you before the date of the citation, you can file a motion to set aside the conviction.

Whether or not the motion is granted remains to be seen. I suggest that you retain a criminal defense attorney to asisst you in this endeavor and provide proof to the court that you actually had insurance in place before the date you were cited for no insurance. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.