If Ipled guilty to disorderly conduct, how can I pursue getting this conviction expunged while living in another state?

3 months ago in NJ, I was alone on a public bench and was approached by 2 officers in an unmarked car, wearing street clothes. It was dark and there were no lights. They approached me in an intimidating manner and refused to identify themselves (twice). Convinced they were gang members, I ran from them to a busy street. When I saw they were cops I stopped and cooperated fully with them. I was charged with disorderly conduct and plead guilty due to not being able to afford a lawyer. 3 months later, I now live in another state, how can I pursue to get this conviction expunged?

Asked on September 16, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, most of the facts that you provide are relevant to only to the underlying conviction, not to expungement.  Given the facts that you have provided, it sounds like the state may have had a weak case.  That being said, for whatever reason -- financial or otherwise -- you decided to plead guilty, and now you have to live with the consequences of that conviction, which is that it is on your record.  Expungements are usually rare, but your first step will be to contact the board of pardons -- or its equivalent department -- in New Jersey to begin to set the expungment process in motion.  In any event, if your financial situation has changed I suggest that you speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney in New Jersey to discuss this matter in greater detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.