How can I get my case sealed?

I pled guilty to attempted criminal mischief in the fourth degree it’s a B misdemeanor; I was sentenced to 1 year probation. I finished my probation last year and now want to know if I can get my case sealed? If so, under what authority? I already called the court and there isn’t a “Do not seal order” on it.

Asked on February 18, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately there is no way to get your case sealed. The only cases that are sealed are violations and not crimes. If you cannot get a job because of the criminal record, you could apply to the court for Relief from Civil Disabilities which will lift any impediments to get a job. Usually though a misdemeanor will not prevent you from working and thus this will not help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.