If I plead guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge and have had it expunged but it still shows up when I am fingerprinted, is there anything I can do about it?

I want go to nursing school.

Asked on July 28, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Did you also expunge the arrest and get back the fingerprinted cards? People often forget that the arrest and conviction show up separately on a background check.  And you should always run one on yourself after expungement to be sure it is gone.  But also understand that certain agencies - especially law enforcement and licensing agencies - can see information on arrests and convictions, even those sealed and expunged.  But do not fret because I understand that in Ohio you can still become a licensed nurse even with a criminal record so long as the crime is not one of the following: aggravated murder, murder, voluntary manslaughter, felonious assault, kidnapping, rape, sexual batter, aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, gross sexual imposition and aggravated arson.  You need to be up front with the nursing school at the time of admission.  Here is a link.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.