Is it legal if my boss makes me take a vacation time when I have to go on sales calls to a customer site because that is not performing admin duties?

I perform (2) jobs at the same company – train the new admin which is paid salary and sales which is paid full commission. I have vacation time owed to me before my salary position is done.

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, if you are going on a sales call, you are working: while it is legal to pay you for that time commission only (subject to you overally being paid at least minimum wage for the week, based on the number of hours total you worked), you may not be made to use a vacation day for performing work or work travel. 

That said, if the employer will not see reason and makes you use a vacation day, the only way to get compensation for it would be to sue your employer and win. Lawsuits cost money (though not much if you represent yourself "pro se", take time, and will obviously affect the relationship between you and your employer; the employer may terminate you for suing it, for example). Therefore, it be difficult or impossible to vindicate your rights while employed. You may wish to seek other employment, then after you have a new job, look into suing to recover the value of the vacation days you were forced to improperly use.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.