I pay my ex wife alimony she is still not married does not cohabitate I have gotten remarried there are four children in the home now can I petition to have alimony stopped

Divorce was finalized in 2014 I have paid alimony for almost 3 years.

Asked on September 25, 2017 under Family Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You cannot get your alimony stopped because you remarried and are now helping to care for your spouse's children, or adopted a child, or had children of your following the divorce. The law does not let you get out of your obligation to your ex-spouse due to changes you voluntarily made in your own life, such as getting married or having children. You have to find a way to balance your voluntarily-taken-on responsibilities with your legal obligations to your ex.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.