What to do if I paid my car off after my divorce because it was awarded to me but the title got sent to my ex-husband who took a loan out against it and now my car is repossessed?

What are my options?

Asked on December 5, 2015 under Family Law, Nevada


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have civil and criminal remedies.
On the criminal side, your ex-husband has committed theft by fraud (on you and the finance company).  Take your final decree divorce to law enforcement and request that charges be filed for theft.
On the civil side, you can file a conversion claim as part of a motion for enforcement of your final decree of divorce.  Conversion is the civil term for "theft".  You can ask for damages and reimbursement for attorney fees associated with the theft.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.