I paid “last months rent” whenI signed lease. I gave 30 day notice, paid my rent and vacated. Am I entitled to a refund of the unused last months rent

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is review the terms of your lease agreement. Each situation is different and depending on the specifics it will determine if you need to get a refund.

Oftentimes if you leave before the lease terminates the last month is not refunded but again it depends on the terms of the contract between the two parties. Also notice oftentimes plays a part and in this case it seems you provide a fair amount of notice.

I also advise once you review the terms of the lease that you contact a local attorney who specializes in landlord tenant disputes. Because certain states have specific guidelines they may be able to guide you as to exactly how to proceed. I am not admitted in FL so i cannot do so but I can only answer in the general which is that each contract differs and if you feel you are owed the money approach the landlord. If they refuse you can file a complaint with the court and hope to settle or have the court award you the monies due. If you have further questions please feel free to post again. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.