How can I get my money back from a vocational school that did not perform the training that I was told I would have?

I paid for vocational training to become a pet groomer,but the school only allowed me to mostly bathe pets. They assigned grooming tasks to other students and refused to provide more than 14 grooming tasks for me within 42 days. They claimed each student would get to groom up to 350 pets in 80 days, and told me I would at least have hundreds of assignments. That did not happen because “business was slow”. The owner broke his promises to provide more assignments for me. Can I get my money back?

Asked on April 8, 2014 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should be able to recover your money, and possibly other compensation, too, under one or both of the following theories:

1) Breach of contract: if you signed any agreement(s) which stated what you would receive in terms of training and they did not provide what the agreement promised, they breached or violated their contract.

2) Fraud: if they misrepresented, or lied about, what they could or would provide, and did so knowingly (i.e. knew, or had reason to know, at the time they made those statements that they were lies) in order to get you to sign up, and you relied on those false statements, and it was reasonable for you to have relied on them, that may be fraud.

You should speak with an attorney to discuss the strength and value of your potential claims in detail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.