Can I get in trouble if I packed my husband’s belongings once I found out he was talking to another female after not coming home several night in a row?

I’ve been with my husband for 6 years and married for 4 years. We have 3 children together and during the course of our relationship he has verbally, emotionally and occassionally physically abused me. He cheated on me the whole course of our relationship. He doesn’t help with the children and he barely comes home.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Family Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Packing them probably not but what are you going to do with them?  He has the same rights as you to live in the marital home unless you get a court order allowing you exclusive occupancy or a restraining order against him.  If he is indeed that abusive please go and speak with an attorney to keep you and the children safe.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.